Factory Farm Statistics

I was going through some papers and found these statistics:

•The meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUV’s, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.
•37% of greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms are caused by methane which has 23 times the global warming impact than that of CO2.
•Factory farm waste is responsible for 80% of ammonia emissions in the United States-ammonia being the primary producer of acid rain.
•To date, 35,000 miles of rivers in 22 states and groundwater in 17 states has been permanently contaminated by factory farm waste.
•The conversion of forest lands into pastures and croplands for factory farms is playing a primary role in pushing species towards extinction at a rate 500 times faster than what it ought to be according to models based on fossil records.
•Factory farm waste is responsible for 74% of all freshwater fish kills as well as a large percentage of all ocean water dead zones (vast stretches of costal water in which nothing can live).

Also, because it takes thousands of gallons of water to produce a single pound of beef it is estimated that a person could save more water by not eating a pound of beef than they could by not showering for an entire year.

:toothy2:

Excuse me, can you please tell me how buying local will save environment? I think the locally grown meat is as damaging to environment as meat grown in factory farms.

:toothy3: