Squash (Cucurbita spp.)

Squashes generally refer to four species of the genus Cucurbita native to Mexico and Central America, also called marrows depending on variety or the nationality of the speaker. These species include C. maxima (hubbard squash, buttercup squash, some varieties of prize pumpkins, such as Big Max), C. mixta (cushaw squash), C. moschata (butternut squash), and C. pepo (most pumpkins, acorn squash, summer squash, zucchini).[1] In North America, squash is loosely grouped into summer squash or winter squash, depending on whether they are harvested as immature fruit (summer squash) or mature fruit (autumn squash or winter squash). Gourds are from the same family as squashes. Well known types of squash include the pumpkin and zucchini. Giant squash are derived from Cucurbita maxima and are routinely grown to weights nearing those of giant pumpkins. For more details, refer to List of gourds and squashes.

Though considered a vegetable in cooking, botanically speaking, squash is a fruit (being the receptacle for the plant’s seeds). Squash can be served fresh (in salads) and cooked (squash stuffed with meat, fried squash, baked squash). Small pattypans are good for pickling.

wow. very informative article.
thanks for share that with us…

Thank you for your post. Squash is really good with many health benefits such as boosting the immune system, protecting your lung from harmful effects of carcinogens and controlling diabetes. However, people who experience hypertension should not eat squash because of its ability to lower the blood pressure. Their life may be in danger. https://wikihomenutrition.com/squash-health-benefits/

Sounds more like hypotension, but anyway that’s surprising, I’ve never felt funny about squash as such. Just tried some canned pumpkin here. That doesn’t taste great by itself, like some things out of a can, but it was better cooked with oatmeal, which I also liked better with pumpkin than plain. I know it’s most often used for pies. I’m doing more of a vegan test kitchen for my tastes. Haven’t yet tried it in a stir fry… someday I’ll cook a whole pumpkin to compare as well.