Magnesium

[size=150]Magnesium [/size]

Magnesium is a mineral needed by every cell of your body. About half of your body’s magnesium stores are found inside cells of body tissues and organs, and half are combined with calcium and phosphorus in bone. Only one percent of the magnesium in your body is found in blood. Your body works very hard to keep blood levels of it constant.
Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, and bones strong. It is also involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis.

Good sources of magnesium

• Soy products, such as soy flour and tofu
• Legumes and seeds
• Nuts (such as almonds and cashews)
• Whole grains (such as brown rice and millet)
• Fruits or vegetables (such as bananas, dried apricots, and avocados)

Although magnesium is present in many foods, it usually occurs in small amounts. As with most nutrients, daily needs for magnesium cannot be met from a single food. Eating a wide variety of foods, including five servings of fruits and vegetables daily and plenty of whole grains, helps to ensure an adequate intake of magnesium.
The magnesium content of refined foods is usually low. Whole-wheat bread, for example, has twice as much magnesium as white bread because the magnesium-rich germ and bran are removed when white flour is processed. The table of food sources of magnesium suggests many dietary sources of magnesium.
Water can provide magnesium, but the amount varies according to the water supply. “Hard” water contains more magnesium than “soft” water. Dietary surveys do not estimate magnesium intake from water, which may lead to underestimating total magnesium intake and its variability.

HOW TO PREPARE FOODS TO RETAIN MAGNESIUM

Magnesium is lost in cooking some foods even under the best conditions. To retain magnesium cook foods in a minimal amount of water. .Cook for the shortest possible time.

Doses

[code]
Children mg/day
1-3 years old: 80
4-8 years old: 130
9-13 years old: 240
4-18 years old (boys): 410
14-18 years old (girls): 360

Adult females: 310
Pregnancy: 360-400
Breastfeeding women: 320-360

Adult males: 400[/code]
source: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services

Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium plays an important role in maintaining the integrity of the myocardium, kidneys, and bone. Its deficiency has been shown to cause cardiomyopathy in several animal species, and to intensify myocardial lesions caused by a variety of modalities. Its deficiency has caused arteriosclerosis and has intensified formation of atheromata, or arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and even myocardial infarction, induced by atherogenic diets, high intakes of vitamin D, calcium, phosphate, and fat. Its deficiency has caused renal lesions and intensified damage produced by vitamin D, calcium, and phosphate. And its deficiency has been implicated in some forms of bone damage. Magnesium supplementation has prevented or reversed some of the lesions in the experimental models and been used clinically in cardiovascular disease and urolithiasis.

Magnesium on Wikipedia
Magnesium - National Institutes of Health

A list of [size=150]Vegan Products Rich in Magnesium[/size]

Spices Rich in Magnesium
Fruits Rich in Magnesium
Vegetables Rich in Magnesium
Nuts Rich in Magnesium
Legumes Rich in Magnesium
Cereals Rich in Magnesium

Does this mean that we get more magnesium from raw food?

Following are some foods and the amount of magnesium in them:
spinach (1/2 cup) = 80 milligrams (mg)
peanut butter (2 tablespoons) = 50 mg
black-eyed peas (1/2 cup) = 45 mg
milk: low fat (1 cup) = 40 mg

Thanks for that Crookesey :smiley: I am not that familiar with black eyed peas, I thought it was just a singing group lol… I am just familiar with common green peas :smiley:

Magnesium is one of the great cell making material. Without it the power house of body Mitochondria will stop working. For this we become energy less and weak.

@Nutrients, you have given a chart how amount of magnesium is needed for different aged people. Can you give the reference please, where you found it.

Ive heard Raw Cocoa has lots and lots of magnesium.

But consuming hard water is bad?

OP, thanks for posting about Magnesium, didn’t know it did so much.
Great source of Magnesium is pumpkin seeds. I eat lots of them.
Also, i love smoothies and juicing so i get this other raw protein powder that is just Pumpkin seed powder that has been de-fatted.
it has 148 grams per 2 tablespoons (40% rda), and has 60% protein, plus 18 Amino acids.
It’s available on ebay, if you search Vegan Protein Powder.

There are some foods that can supply magnesium effectively. They are edamame and brazil nuts. Edamame are soy beans still in the pods. They’re usually steamed or boiled and can be eaten plain or added to a dish. Half a cup of shelled, cooked edamame beans have 50 mg of magnesium. https://wikihomenutrition.com/edamame-health-benefits/. Brazil nuts also contain considerable amounts of minerals, such as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium or copper…The percent of DV per 1/2 cup of brazil nuts cooked is 63%. https://wikihomenutrition.com/brazil-nuts-health-benefits/
Magnesium is an important mineral that your body needs in order to function. It produces energy and regulates blood sugar and chemical reactions in the body. Your heart, muscles, and kidneys all need magnesium to work properly. The mineral also helps build teeth and bones.
Hope my answer could be useful! :smiley: :smiley:

Great. Informative!!