Is a Prius good for the environment?

Discuss how the vegan lifestyle is beneficial for our environment.
BigBecka
Lord of the posts

Is a Prius good for the environment?

Postby BigBecka » Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I was talking to somebody about electric and hybrid cars recently. They told me that, over the life cycle of the car, hybrid cars (e.g. Toyota Prius)are actually worse for the environment than regular petrol/diesel cars!

Independent tests suggest that hybrid cars can pump out up to 56 per cent more carbon dioxide than the manufacturers claim, and that their fuel economy is (in some cases) comparable to a standard diesel car.[The Times]

I also heard that the batteries used in electric and hybrid cars are damaging to the environment.

Does anyone know if this is true? And what are the alternatives? How does Biofuel compare? And whatever happened to Ethanol cars? (I remember that Ford used to sell an ethanol-powered car in Brazil, because ethanol could be cheaply produced from the crops over there)

And has anyone actually tried running their car off chip fat? :P

Sergio
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby Sergio » Oct 9, 2008 7:16 am

I think that plug in hybrid cars will be better for the environment. And Prius is just a step in right direction.

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby dragonfly » Dec 13, 2008 1:19 am

i believe that a Prius is good for the environment, and all hybrid cars are a step in the right direction. Smog standards don't change and the batteries can be recycled. So obviously hybrid cars are not worse on the environment. :roll:

davidbrain
Vegan Forum noob

Postby davidbrain » Jan 26, 2009 6:09 am

Hi
This is davidbrain
I am new to this forum. I don't know much about this site when my friends told me about this then I saw it. I think your site is providing information about vegetarian life style, vegan Recipes, Animal rights. I love to live vegetarian life style. I think your site is to be useful who wants to live vegetarian life style. I fully recommended to all people.
=================================
davidbrain
New Cars

penwrite05
Vegan Forum Beginner

Re: Is a Prius good for the environment?

Postby penwrite05 » Mar 7, 2009 1:34 am

BigBecka wrote:I was talking to somebody about electric and hybrid cars recently. They told me that, over the life cycle of the car, hybrid cars (e.g. Toyota Prius)are actually worse for the environment than regular petrol/diesel cars!

Independent tests suggest that hybrid cars can pump out up to 56 per cent more carbon dioxide than the manufacturers claim, and that their fuel economy is (in some cases) comparable to a standard diesel car.[The Times]

I also heard that the batteries used in electric and hybrid cars are damaging to the environment.

Does anyone know if this is true? And what are the alternatives? How does Biofuel compare? And whatever happened to Ethanol cars? (I remember that Ford used to sell an ethanol-powered car in Brazil,how because ethanol could be cheaply produced from the crops over there)

And has anyone actually tried running their car off chip fat? :P

who ever is saying all of those things are just trying to destroy hybrid cars popularity nowadays. what can be more destructable than the smokes being emitted all over the world by cars, busses, trucks that uses both gas and diesolines?

-------------------
fashion craze

ethpalothers
Vegan Forum noob

Postby ethpalothers » Jun 15, 2017 9:28 pm

It is not good for the environment in countries where the batteries are made. It is beneficial for pollution where these cars are driven, and it is an effort, but batteries made for electric & hybrid cars cause so much pollution where they are made that in terms of one's overall environmental impact, it would be worse to buy a hybrid or Prius over a secondhand car with good gas mileage, because of the overall battery life.

If we could manufacture a battery with a longer life, then the pollution may be offset, but because it does not have a long battery life currently, you could not offset the pollution caused by the battery/batteries in your lifetime.

But even if we were able to manufacture a battery with a longer life, we would still be transferring our pollution onto poorer people.

Please do not buy into the green washing. So many companies try to brand things as eco when they may in fact be harmful. Just like companies who put the pink logo for breast cancer on their products but do not donate to breast cancer research.

Do your own research if you are interested in your impact.

It's also important to note that there are no perfect options, especially in this area, at this time. There are only less damaging ones.
Do your best, and if you already own a Prius, please do not feel guilty. You made the best choice you could given the information you had at the time.

vpdevice
Vegan Forum Member

Postby vpdevice » Jul 4, 2017 2:47 pm

I like the Honda Clarity. It has an electric motor that's powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.

Check out: http://www.automobiles.honda.com/clarity

Return to “Veganism And The Environment Forum”