Eating farmers market eggs?

General Vegan and Vegetarian Talk forum. Learn about veganism and its relation to environment, morality and human health.
cocasonal
Vegan Forum noob

Eating farmers market eggs?

Postby cocasonal » Jul 28, 2011 2:48 am

Hey everyone! I am a vegetarian and am trying to cut eggs and dairy out of my diet. So far, cow milk has been easiest (cause of the great alternatives), cheese has been so-so (probably in part due to the so-so alternatives), but, ignoring for the moment processed foods that contain un-vegan ingredients, eggs are very difficult to give up for me (can't make tofu in a basket!). I have stopped cooking mass-produced eggs for myself, but I do miss them on many mornings.

My question is, what is the verdict on eating eggs from a local small-scale farmer, bought at a farmer's market? I wouldn't buy meat from one because of the trickiness of the slaughterhouse situation, but is there anything you know about locally-produced eggs? For the record, I am attempting to change my dietary habits not because I think it is inherently bad to keep animals on a farm for the purpose of producing animal products, but rather because I think the dominant system right now is bad in all sorts of ways. I know that this is a position a lot of vegans may not agree with, so please bear with me at least for the time being on this matter!

Any thoughts on specifically whether it is possible to be reasonably sure that the hens that laid these eggs are given good lives? Thanks for your time.

Elizabeth1144
Vegan Forum Guest

Re: Eating Farmers Market Eggs?

Postby Elizabeth1144 » Dec 27, 2011 5:05 am

Eggs are egg, if you get it from farmers or buy from dairy market, so don't get confused yourself by these things, and don't thing about these, just take care of your diet and nutrition, it is necessary else thinking these.
Placentia Fat Loss

danielfife530
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby danielfife530 » Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

hi,
There should not have an issues of places. We get the healthy food that set.
I think other things doesn't matter, if you want to eat egg. You never know the how egg is nutritious for us.

lynch009
Advanced Vegan Talker

Postby lynch009 » Jun 19, 2012 2:43 am

You can eat egg if you really want it.
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.

- Lou Holtz

SunWeek
Vegan Forum Visitor

Postby SunWeek » Aug 27, 2013 2:03 am

You shouldn't buy just any eggs because the chickens that lay the eggs are being strongly abused. Watch the documentary "Vegucated" and you will see why.

I am vegan but just recently I also eat eggs. I buy them from a farmer that lives by my house, and I've seen their chickens. They run around and have freedom, and aren't at all abused. They also don't end up eating the chickens, they only have them for the eggs

So if you ever buy eggs, go to a farm (even if it's out of the way a bit, it is definitely worth it) and don't trust the "Free Run eggs" because even though they are given better food, they are extremely abused and slaughtered in a very inhumane way.

• RELATED_TOPICS
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Vegan Chat”