Environmental Activities?

General and Offtopic Conversations. The forum to discuss world news, music, generic movies, politics, social issues and sport, everything that is not related to vegetarianism goes here.
BigBecka
Lord of the posts

Environmental Activities?

Postby BigBecka » Feb 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Partly in response to another thread on here, and partly in response to a few magazine articles I read recently, I got to wondering what activities we can get involved in to promote animal rights and other environmental and social issues? Obviously we acheive a fair amount by being vegan, and a few people on here seem to be quite directly involved in promotional and protest activities.

What other things are there?

I've collected a few ideas: eat organic, save energy, run the car a bit less (or not at all!), have an ethical bank account or a credit card that gives rewards to a charity, join Greenpeace / World Wildlife Fund / similar, petition your government or write to your local MP on specific issues you feel strongly about, promote AR through a talent (art, writing, music) or a professional institution?

My writer's magazine (Mslexia) had an article on Public Advocacy this quarter - writing for organisations that promote social change (kind of what we're doing here). They recommend some free websites with advice / training, that I thought a few people might find interesting:
http://www.fahamu.org/WFCEng/index.html
http://www.aidsmap.com (a HIV and AIDS pressure group, but with a free advocacy toolkit)
http://www.advocacy.org

AndyBa
Vegan Zealot

Postby AndyBa » Feb 24, 2007 2:48 am

These activities, eat organic, save energy, run the car a bit less, are excellent..
if we only could educate more people on why it is important

Here are some grand ideas:
Try to penetrate the politics arena and make environment friendly changes in society.

As Becky wrote above, promote AR through your talent.

Science + marketing.. some inventions could really help save the environment..

Agriculture - research and promote environment friendly practices.

So almost everyone can do something.. only desire and passion is needed.
Andy`Ba

The human body has no more need for cows' milk than it does for dogs' milk, horses' milk, or giraffes' milk. ~Michael Klaper, M.D., author of Vegan Nutrition: Pure & Simple

meign
AR Knight

Re: Environmental Activities?

Postby meign » Sep 28, 2010 6:02 am

AndyBa wrote:These activities, eat organic, save energy, run the car a bit less, are excellent..

if we only could educate more people on why it is important

Here are some grand ideas:

Try to penetrate the politics arena and make environment friendly changes in society.

As Becky wrote above, promote AR through your talent.

Science + marketing.. some inventions could really help save the environment..

Agriculture - research and promote environment friendly practices.

So almost everyone can do something.. only desire and passion is needed.

Hope I can be a tool in spreading this good deed... Wish I can help on educating people about this...

ShondaCornejo
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby ShondaCornejo » Feb 8, 2017 11:17 am

I agree..

BloodyHell
Active Vegan Talker

Postby BloodyHell » Feb 8, 2017 4:17 pm

Bloody Hell! Here's another good idea. -- :idea1:

Check out: http://www.carrotmob.org/about
"There will be BloodyHell to pay," I tell ya! -- :protest:

approvalbunny
Advanced Vegan Talker

Postby approvalbunny » Feb 8, 2017 7:22 pm

There are some good ideas being propounded on this thread, I think. -- :thumbleft:
:thumbleft: -- "approvalbunny likes this!"

AmandaRich
Vegan Forum Visitor

Postby AmandaRich » Sep 20, 2017 12:35 pm

As I've said before, Vegan lifestyle is quite expensive and hard to follow. There are many countries where people don't even know the difference between Vegetarian and Vegan.

We have to come up with some ways to promote certain products that are not expensive. That'll be a good start.

Return to “General Conversations”