1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
4 tbsp organic olive oil
12 oz organic brown rice
1 large carton organic vegetable stock
6 oz dry white wine
1 16 oz can organic chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
½ tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 red pepper, chopped
3 sticks celery, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, whatever is locally available, chopped
½ cup frozen peas
¼ cup broken cashew nuts
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large, heavy saucepan fry the onion in 4 tbsp olive oil.
2. Add rice to the pot.
3. Add vegetable stock, wine, tomatoes, tomato puree, tarragon, basil, garlic, and oregano to the pot.
4. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add peppers, celery, and mushrooms and cook for another 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
5. Add peas, cashew nuts, salt, and pepper.
6. Heat through until peas are ready and serve.