1/2 pound dry pasta, such as fettucine
4 cups broccoli florets or asparagus tips
4 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions, or until al dente. Add broccoli or asparagus during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
2. Reserve 1 cup of pasta-cooking water and set aside, then drain pasta and vegetables in a colander.
3. Reduce heat under the now-empty pasta pot to medium-low and add the butter, stirring until melted. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta-cooking water, then stir in 1/3 of the Parmesan. Add the pasta and vegetables and cayenne, if using, and toss to combine.
4. Remove pot from the heat and sprinkle with another third of the Parmesan and add freshly-ground pepper, generously, to taste. Toss again, adding a bit more of the pasta-cooking water if needed.
5. Place pasta in bowls, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and serve.
Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/light- ... z12xOvjYz6