* 2 onions, diced
* 10 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp olive oil
* ½ cup dry red wine
* 5 cans diced tomatoes
* 1 cup fresh basil, or 4 Tbsp dried
* Salt & pepper, to taste
Walnut Crumble Topping
* 1 cup walnuts
* ½ cup nutritional yeast
* ¼ cup olive oil
* Salt to taste
5-6 lbs (dry weight) kamut (or other whole grain) penne
1. Start the sauce by sauteeing the onions and garlic in a large pan with olive oil until lightly browned. Deglaze the pan by pouring the red wine in with the heat on medium-high. Pour your cans of tomatoes into various crock pots or a very large pot if you have one. Divide the onions and seasonings amongst your pots and leave to simmer on low for at least an hour. If you are using a pot that is oven safe, you could put it in the oven on low rather than the stove.
2. Start the walnut crumble topping by processing the walnuts in a food processor until ground. Transfer them to a bowl and stir in the nutritional yeast. Add the oil, stirring to bring the mixture together. Stir some salt in to your taste.
3. Cook the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and the pasta and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until just soft. If you are baking the pasta to reheat, be sure to not over-cook the pasta at this stage. Strain the pasta when cooked. You may have to do a few batches of pasta, or multiple pots at once.
4. If you are assembling your pasta for freezing, use large baking dishes and layer the pasta and sauce, topping with the walnut mixture. Cover and freeze, leaving time to thaw and bake on the day of your event.