* 1 cup olive oil
* 1 medium garlic bulb, minced
* 2 onions, diced
* 3 lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
* 1 tsp mustard powder
* 1 tsp cayenne powder
* 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
* 1 tsp salt and pepper
* 1 lemon or lime, zested and juiced
* 1 cup whole grain flour
* 4L vegetable broth or water
* 1 cup red wine (or white)
* optional: 2 Tbsp pesto
* 3 roasted red peppers, chopped
* 3 cups spinach, shredded
* 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
* ½ cup capers, drained
* 5-6 lbs (dry weight) kamut (or other whole grain) fusilli
1. Heat a large sauce pot to medium and saute onions and garlic in 3 or so tablespoons of the olive oil until browned.
2. Add the mushrooms and allow them to cook until they have released and then reabsorbed their own moisture. Add the mustard, cayenne, thyme, salt and pepper and toss to season.
3. Add the flour to the pot along with the rest of the olive oil. Stir them together so that the flour absorbs the oil, and allow the flour to brown slightly, then add the broth/water and wine.
4. If you have some pesto around, add it but it's not necessary. Stir the red peppers, spinach, olives and capers into the sauce. Cook the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and the pasta and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until just soft. If you are baking the pasta to reheat, be sure to not over-cook the pasta at this stage. Strain the pasta when cooked. You may have to do a few batches of pasta, or multiple pots at once.
5. Toss the pasta with the sauce and vegetables. If you are assembling your pasta for freezing, use large baking dishes. Cover and freeze, leaving time to thaw and bake on the day of your event.