Plants Are No Different Than Animals

General Vegan and Vegetarian Talk forum. Learn about veganism and its relation to environment, morality and human health.

Re: Plants are no different than Animals

Postby philosopher » Mar 7, 2011 9:50 pm

Jessica11 wrote:But, can I get the same proteins my body needs without eating meat products?

Yes you can. Most people in Europe and the States eat way too much protein. Too much protein contributes to kidney failure and osteoporosis.
philosopher
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby philosopher » Mar 7, 2011 9:54 pm

AdamD wrote:Lack of understanding does not equate to justification for eating plant matter.
Until we can say with 100% certainty that plants cannot feel pain (i.e: never) vegans cannot justifiably take the moral high ground.
Even if plants can't feel pain, like the poster above me said, they sure as heck don't want to be eaten (most of the time at least, some plants reproduce in very interesting ways!) so how can you say it's different enough from eating animals to justify.

Actually, even if plants feel pain, it is STILL preferable to eat a vegan diet of only plants. If you are really concerned about causing less harm than you would consider that for every pound of cow protein produced, at least 16 pound of vegetable protein is needed. So you are causing 16 times as much suffering by eating meat.

I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots, but that's just me.

There really is no sound argument for meat eating. You can try and try, but every argument in the book that meat eaters have ends up being illogical.
philosopher
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby AdamD » Mar 9, 2011 2:10 pm

Philosopher, your above post proves your specism.
"I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots"

Please try and be less hypocritical in the future.

Sound argument for meat eating: I can and I like it.
Now you could do what you usually do and say: " You can also murder kittens or be a nazi", but I don't like that, so I don't.
Ouch, that logic may sting.

PS: I'm referring to another post you made in a different thread.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby dragonfly » Mar 9, 2011 7:34 pm

adam please go spew your :roll: semi-illiterate nonsense :roll: somewhere else, you don't belong here.
dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby AdamD » Mar 10, 2011 4:14 am

Nice name calling, really showing the maturity there, I'm guessing that means you forfeit the argument to me then?

As for me not belonging here, I think you're just upset because your poorly chosen lifestyle is being questioned by someone and you can't defend yourself argumentatively. If you can't deal with that then I don't think you belong on any public forum.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby philosopher » Mar 11, 2011 3:58 am

AdamD wrote:Philosopher, your above post proves your specism.
"I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots"

Please try and be less hypocritical in the future.

Sound argument for meat eating: I can and I like it.
Now you could do what you usually do and say: " You can also murder kittens or be a nazi", but I don't like that, so I don't.
Ouch, that logic may sting.

PS: I'm referring to another post you made in a different thread.

Please Adam, provide me with your solid reasoning for eating meat. I love a challenge. I don't consider "I can and I like it." to be a good reason. It's a reason, not a good one.

I don't believe that saying humans are worth more than carrots makes me a speceist. Please tell me why I'm wrong.
philosopher
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby AdamD » Mar 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Haha, so now you get to change the question, typical.

This is an exercise in futility, your concept of 'good' could be completely different to mine so there is very little point in me even trying.

But for the sake of meat worldwide:
Meat is a social acceptable and readily available source of essential nutrients which, although available elsewhere are still found in meat so it comes down to personal preference.

Meat eating is accepted and used widely in larger society so as to not inconvenience any of my friends cooking for me or any staff at various eateries I am happy eating meat.

I don't feel that the meat industry is deserving of all the hating even after watching the numerous vegan videos on this site so why NOT eat meat in my case?

By not eating meat and becoming a vegetarian or vegan I implicitly support eco-terrorist groups like PETA.

To begin with the next part of your post, let's define species.

Species: A taxonomic division that generally refers to a group of animals or plants which are similar in structure and descent and are able to breed among themselves.

Carrots fall under this definition ergo when you say "I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots" you are being speceist.
Not only that but you are being hypocritical considering that you were calling me a speceiest a short time ago.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby banana » Mar 14, 2011 6:40 am

DNA
banana
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby philosopher » Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am

AdamD wrote:Haha, so now you get to change the question, typical.

This is an exercise in futility, your concept of 'good' could be completely different to mine so there is very little point in me even trying.

But for the sake of meat worldwide:
Meat is a social acceptable and readily available source of essential nutrients which, although available elsewhere are still found in meat so it comes down to personal preference.

Meat eating is accepted and used widely in larger society so as to not inconvenience any of my friends cooking for me or any staff at various eateries I am happy eating meat.

I don't feel that the meat industry is deserving of all the hating even after watching the numerous vegan videos on this site so why NOT eat meat in my case?

By not eating meat and becoming a vegetarian or vegan I implicitly support eco-terrorist groups like PETA.

To begin with the next part of your post, let's define species.

Species: A taxonomic division that generally refers to a group of animals or plants which are similar in structure and descent and are able to breed among themselves.

Carrots fall under this definition ergo when you say "I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots" you are being speceist.
Not only that but you are being hypocritical considering that you were calling me a speceiest a short time ago.

Meat is a decent source of few nutrients, and an expensive one. There are many many downsides of meat; environmental impact, health issues, cost, cruelty to animals in slaughtering and raising, etc. Vegetables won't give you heart attacks, are more environmentally friendly, and cause much less suffering than meat.

Most vegans and vegetarians I know enjoy making their own food. If they go over to a friends house for dinner they bring something, as to not "inconvenience" the host. I am more concerned about inconveniencing hundreds of farmed animals per year by eating them.
philosopher
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby AdamD » Mar 17, 2011 10:27 am

"Most vegans and vegetarians I know enjoy making their own food. If they go over to a friends house for dinner they bring something, as to not "inconvenience" the host. I am more concerned about inconveniencing hundreds of farmed animals per year by eating them."

So your beliefs are more important than those of others?

That's practically what you're saying when you melt it down.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby dragonfly » Mar 17, 2011 7:06 pm

AdamD wrote:Nice name calling, really showing the maturity there, I'm guessing that means you forfeit the argument to me then?
logical fallacy, your "crossroads" logic is pointless, the disinformation/thick propaganda is quite silly and incorrect. more gradeschool shenanigans from the witless troll. adam you are apparently clueless.

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby AdamD » Mar 23, 2011 6:08 am

dragonfly wrote:
AdamD wrote:Nice name calling, really showing the maturity there, I'm guessing that means you forfeit the argument to me then?
logical fallacy, your "crossroads" logic is pointless, the disinformation/thick propaganda is quite silly and incorrect. more gradeschool shenanigans from the witless troll. adam you are apparently clueless.

Saying that I spread propaganda then linking a youtube video titled: "What would Jesus do?" made by an eco-terrorist organization. Classic.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby Dacite » Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm

One can definitely eat fruits if there are concerns on plants.
Fruits get spoiled and rotten if nobody eats them, in fact they can seed only if somebody eats them leaving the seeds.
The fruit tree does not receive powers from it's fruits, the tree gets power from its roots.
Dacite
Vegan Forum Member

Postby AdamD » Apr 23, 2011 8:35 am

Trees no longer want nor need humans to eat their fruit simply because people no longer spread the seeds within. Without meaning to sound crude, we don't crap in the bushes any more so we don't spread their seeds around ergo: Wasted fruit for the treeand a lost potential seed.

As for fruit rotting, often that is a natural and integral part of a plant seeding, the rotted fruit provides a rich patch of composted soil to give the seed a little head start.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby dragonfly » Apr 23, 2011 7:05 pm

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby AdamD » Apr 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Both of your videos are factually incorrect on several points, if you cared to actually formulate an argument rather than spamming then I'd be happy to explain how but I bet you don't even bother to read replies to your spam.
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby Kramer » Jun 24, 2011 4:18 am

Totally agree plants are no different than animals
Kramer
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby merryvegan » Jun 24, 2011 5:39 pm

My sentiment is with Philosopher.
merryvegan
Vegan Forum noob

Postby veggieboy19 » Jun 26, 2011 4:48 am

Why don't you all just stop eating plants and animals?
veggieboy19
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby AdamD » Jul 3, 2011 7:16 am

You can do that if you want, but I'm more than happy to eat plants AND animals :flower:
AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby alexandermller82 » Feb 24, 2012 3:50 am

Did you ever thought why most ripe fruits have such bright colors and sweet aromas? I don't think that's because they want to hide from you.
alexandermller82
Vegan Forum Beginner

Re: Plants Are No Different Than Animals

Postby Cupcake1208 » Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm

This is an old thread, but I have a solution:

Eat salt. Just eat salt all day and nothing else.

XD LOL
Cupcake1208
Vegan Forum Guest

Re: Plants Are No Different Than Animals

Postby Cupcake1208 » Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Also, why was Adam D even ON this forum???
Cupcake1208
Vegan Forum Guest

Previous

Return to Vegan Chat