Vegan Cigarettes Not Tested On Animals

General Vegan and Vegetarian Talk forum. Learn about veganism and its relation to environment, morality and human health.

Vegan Cigarettes not Tested on Animals

Postby kancerr » May 12, 2010 5:24 am

okay....so to start off i'm a smoker...have been for years and have no plans to quit. i have been looking all over to find a solution to this. it seems like american spirit is the closest i can get to anything, even tho they are part of rj reynolds... does anybody have any suggestions besides growing my own?...please don't be a jerk and dont tell me what i already know, its going to kill me. i just want something that isnt tested on animals by the company that makes them!
kancerr
Vegan Forum Beginner

Re: Vegan Cigarettes Not Tested On Animals

Postby coexist76 » Jul 6, 2010 8:51 pm

This is yet another product that you forget may not be vegan friendly. Good topic! I'm going to have to start looking around, but, American Spirit is probably going to be the closest you can get that available at most places.
coexist76
Vegan Forum Beginner

Re: Vegan Cigarettes not Tested on Animals

Postby MuskokaVegetarian » Jul 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Are you telling me that cigarettes have meat in them?
MuskokaVegetarian
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby meign » Sep 20, 2010 12:52 am

I think smoking itself is not vegan(sorry for those who will be affected, this is just my opinion). Even though cigarettes are not tested on animals nor it contain products from animals. Once a person smoke, it will surely affected the environment where animals live and surely it will affect the air that every species breath. Don't we think that this is also unvegan?
meign
AR Knight

Postby cailean » Sep 20, 2010 12:57 pm

meign wrote:I think smoking itself is not vegan(sorry for those who will be affected, this is just my opinion). Even though cigarettes are not tested on animals nor it contain products from animals. Once a person smoke, it will surely affected the environment where animals live and surely it will affect the air that every species breath. Don't we think that this is also unvegan?

I don't think it will surely affect the environment where animals live. Driving a car or using power in your home are far more likely to have an impact on animal life. Especially in the city. Perhaps if you always smoked under a tree that had a bird's nest living in it, but I really don't see smoking having much of an impact on animals.
cailean
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby AndyBa » Sep 22, 2010 6:57 am

Considering that humans are animals too, I like the Idea of smoking not being vegan. :D
I hate and feel abused when someone smokes in my vicinity. :D
Andy`Ba

The human body has no more need for cows' milk than it does for dogs' milk, horses' milk, or giraffes' milk. ~Michael Klaper, M.D., author of Vegan Nutrition: Pure & Simple
AndyBa
Vegan Zealot

Postby meign » Sep 22, 2010 8:14 am

sorry cailean:D I just think so because once a person smoke it will surely affect the air that we and the animals breath. It will sure affect our( us and the animals) home because smoking can affect the ozone layer slowly... :wink:
meign
AR Knight

Postby DevineMe » Oct 28, 2010 5:02 am

News update.. This just found out.. Unfortunately for vegetarian and vegan smokers most ->non organic<- cigarettes DO contain a additive for aroma called "castoreum" a potent derivative of a beaver gland obtained after skinning. I switched brands the same day. Try to let your smoking friends down lightly as they might be pretty upset and or pissed. Theres no reason that stuff should be in there and RJR is gonna be upset when they find out how many sales are affected when that part of the market switches brands as the news spreads. American Spirit (native american brand? Walgreens has them, yellow pack) is the only brand that does not have additives. Note: Just as the pack says organic does not mean safer, it means it's a natural cigarette for those who do not want additives in their cigarettes including castoreum, also the American Spirit producers DO NOT do animal testing.
DevineMe
Vegan Forum noob

Postby snog » Oct 28, 2010 10:13 am

AndyBa wrote:Considering that humans are animals too, I like the Idea of smoking not being vegan. :D
I hate and feel abused when someone smokes in my vicinity. :D

Agreed. And regarding animals and tobacco: if people smoke around their pets - in close proximity to them, that does affect animals for sure.
however, I don't care if people smoke as long as it doesn't affect my airspace. And one thing that bothers me is employers who won't hire/ or even fire smokers. What people do at home is their own business.
snog
Vegan Forum Member

Postby CircularMotion » Oct 29, 2010 5:33 pm

This is interesting! This is definitely something I had never thought of before...

I know next to nothing about cigarettes, because I don't smoke and never have...

Would it be the same if you were to try and find someone who sells the tobacco kind of wholesale? Or potentially try finding a loose tobacco company that is more "natural" and rolling your own?

I wish I could provide some more help. :) I don't think that smoking is non-vegan because if we were to think of it in the way that smoking can damage animals in nature, like someone pointed our previously, cars probably cause much more damage.
CircularMotion
Advanced Vegan Talker

Postby meign » Nov 3, 2010 4:49 am

CircularMotion wrote:Would it be the same if you were to try and find someone who sells the tobacco kind of wholesale? Or potentially try finding a loose tobacco company that is more "natural" and rolling your own?

I think rolling your own will surely be less expensive :D this will lessen the expenses of smokers :D
meign
AR Knight

Postby level5vegan » Dec 8, 2010 3:39 am

have to say it, i know how cliche, but smoking is the worst thing you can do to your body. go ahead and slap me i know you even said you are have no plans to quit but i care too much about your health to not say it.
level5vegan
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby level5vegan » Dec 8, 2010 3:40 am

meign wrote:I think smoking itself is not vegan(sorry for those who will be affected, this is just my opinion). Even though cigarettes are not tested on animals nor it contain products from animals. Once a person smoke, it will surely affected the environment where animals live and surely it will affect the air that every species breath. Don't we think that this is also unvegan?

Very insightful. :cheers:
level5vegan
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby redrobot » Dec 8, 2010 7:19 am

it's strange and perhaps something of a cliche that as a vegan you care more about puppies than you do about people (yourself in this case). loving animals doesn't exclude yourself however uncool that may be.
redrobot
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby kimmifb71 » Feb 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I know the question was asked some time ago, but I had to take up for my friend here. As a former smoker and a vegan I can sympathize... It really gets tiring to get lectured from everyone about how bad smoking is for you... Like we don't know that already! This person is simply asking a question and asked not to be a "jerk" about smoking. If you smoke or have been a smoker as I have, you get lectured everywhere you go, and you all lecture this person as if it needs to be said, like this person hasn't heard it a million times already! I don't know about vegan cigs and honestly haven't thought much about it, but it's a great question that someone surely can answer, and without criticism.
kimmifb71
Vegan Forum noob

Postby AliJasp » Mar 2, 2011 12:14 am

I smoke american spirit kancerr
AliJasp
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby beliov729 » Mar 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I had exact problem in early days "kancerr", lucky I have excellent alternative! I have personal marihuana plant (do not know what called in english, also, I hear may be restrict in some countries, maybe should be careful also) and simply roll own using recycled toilet paper which can buy in bulk when needed for very cheap. It is very cheap and much better than normal cigarette (I joking call it "mazhinerette", or "manerette" for english ;)), it take some experience to proper tend plant but worth it. Also you will have many friends because they will like.
beliov729
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby harryb » Apr 23, 2011 8:52 am

beliov729 wrote:I had exact problem in early days "kancerr", lucky I have excellent alternative! I have personal marihuana plant (do not know what called in english, also, I hear may be restrict in some countries, maybe should be careful also) and simply roll own using recycled toilet paper which can buy in bulk when needed for very cheap. It is very cheap and much better than normal cigarette (I joking call it "mazhinerette", or "manerette" for english ;)), it take some experience to proper tend plant but worth it. Also you will have many friends because they will like.

Where do you live? I want to move there!
harryb
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby halal » Aug 10, 2012 7:01 pm

MuskokaVegetarian wrote:Are you telling me that cigarettes have meat in them?

Cigarettes can and do contain animal parts or bodily secretions. One example: beaver sex glands are used to produce a nice musky/smoky aroma. Another show-stopper: urea, which is commonly referred to as pig urine.
Let's assume that the beavers were spayed and neutered with love and affection. I still don't want to inhale the testicles of a beaver!
Pig urine? Yuk, forget about it.
I have even seen whale vomit as a common "flavoring" used in cigarettes. Just search for 'ingredients of cigarettes' and you can find pretty detailed lists. Have you ever noticed that cigarette packs do not have the ingredients listed? Guess what? It's on purpose. The FDA can't make a company list its ingredients if they are neither food nor drugs. So this has been hidden as a trade secret for a very long time and only recently has the actual ingredients come to light.

To answer your question in brief: Yes. :cry:
halal
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby dane23 » Oct 6, 2012 6:33 am

I recently became vegan and also a smoker. Whilst i do intend to quit soon in the meantime i still enjoy a cigarette. I know that American Spirit will be the closest to vegan but in Australia it's almost impossible to come by. Are their other cigerettes that don't test on animals or contain animal by products?
dane23
Vegan Forum noob

Postby mohawkdog » Oct 7, 2012 8:23 am

I just submitted a Freedom of Information Act request regarding this issue. I was curious to know what animal by-products were commonly found in cigarettes and how they were obtained. I just received the information yesterday but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I will let you know what (if any) helpful information is there that may indicate other brands of vegan cigarettes.
mohawkdog
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby Dacite » Oct 8, 2012 8:29 pm

Good luck with quitting and saving some money to donate to animals :)
Dacite
Vegan Forum Member

Postby mohawkdog » Oct 9, 2012 1:26 pm

So I just looked over the list of ingredients commonly found in cigarettes (which was 73 pages long) and castoreum is one of the products listed. I have yet to find out how it is obtained etc but that is my next goal. I did however, contact the American Spirit company to inquire whether this was the case with their cigarettes (just to be sure) and they assured me that they are vegan- 100% tobacco and none of the additives that the other cigarettes have. If anyone is interested in seeing the ingredients list just let me know and I will email it to you.

As for Australia though, I haven’t found anything yet but I will keep looking out for some other vegan cigarette options that may be easier for you to come by.
mohawkdog
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby rustedlily » Feb 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi. 8)
I wonder if anyone has any updated information on this topic.

Also, I am interested in that 73-page list of additives.
Is there any cost to file the FIA request or to receive the list? (ironic question, I know)
Does the list specify which ingredients are in which brands?

Do we know whether those additives are only in cigarettes (pre-made) or if they are in tobacco (roll-your-own) as well?

Thanks so much for the information.
rustedlily
Vegan Forum Beginner

Postby suppose3 » Mar 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Cigarettes manufactured by "von Eicken" are *NOT* tested on animals, the following info comes straight from their website:-

"In order to manufacture our products as safely as possible, we have a sophisticated quality management system. We do not practice animal testing of any sort as we believe that all responsible users are aware of the risks of our products and that further studies with the use of animal testing are neither necessary nor responsible."

One of their brands, "Manitou" uses only organic tobacco.
This company also supplies the budget brands which Coles (major supermarket chain in Australia) has been selling since 2010. These include "Deal", "Tradition", etc.
The manufacturer of these packs is clearly labelled as "von Eicken" (and made for Richland Express)

Here is a story about these cheap Australian ciggies:-
tinyurl(DOT)com(SLASH)d4zy6k9
suppose3
Vegan Forum noob

Postby Starlamarie » Sep 16, 2013 10:00 am

I'm a little confused as to why people are saying that smoking cigarettes are not bad for the environment and I guess with the exception to the cigarette company named above ^^ most do test on animals. I found this website which breaks down exactly what harm they do.

Warning: it does describe some animal abuse- i.e testing, and shows a few pictures. But it is useful

Also I guess I can't post the website just yet but if you google radical vegans and cigarette smoking you should be able to find the one Im talking about.
Starlamarie
Vegan Forum Beginner

Return to Vegan Chat